Friday, February 01, 2008

Work from home! Get rich! (not)...Trabajar desde casa! Obtener rico! (No)

There are a lot of things to be learned by working for oneself.

1. I'm not sure about my boss. He's a nice guy, but when it comes to being productive here, he has the attention span of hummingbird.*

2. Working for yourself is actually being unemployed, somebody told me. She's right.

3. It might be better to say that I took "early retirement" than admit to being unemployed, somebody else told me. She's probably right, too.

4. Working for myself, I realize how much my mind wanders. In the right kind of setting, this may resemble brilliance of a certain type, since my ability to generate numerous ideas in a rapid-fire manner can prove useful in a brainstorming session. But when I am my own boss, I am the only audience to my explosion of ideas, which leads only to a recurring headache.

5. I like being around other people. It's fun to be part of a team, a group, or even just a project. The camaraderie genuinely lifts my spirits.

6. I am lousy at making a cup of coffee.

7. I never realized how exciting it is when the mailman finally arrives.

8. I never realized how depressing it is that the mailman mainly brings junk mail.

9. Not having lots of details to attend to can end up defining your day. If you know you have to pay a certain bill today, and there's nothing much else required of you, you may choose to stretch out the task until, say, a half hour before the mailman cometh, just to generate a little tension in an otherwise aimless "workday."

10. Shopping for food does not have to be rushed affair. In fact, standing in lines no longer bothers you like it did before. Some days, the only substantive human contact you may have is with your checkout clerk.

11. Not all checkout clerks are friendly. It's worth standing in line for the ones who are, since, again, that may be the only substantive human contact you'll have that particular day.

12. If your landline rings during the day, it is probably a solicitor.

13. The national "do not call" list does not necessarily protect your from solicitors.

14. The companies that already have your home phone number on file (like your bank or cable company) seem to feel they can violate the "do not call" list whenever they feel like it.

15. Solicitors are not very gifted at guessing how to pronounce your name. "Mister Veal?" "Mister Wire?" "Mister Wee?" Of course, given they are probably somewhere deep in Ahmedabad, they’re to be excused.

16. Being alone too much breeds strange, compulsive behavior. How to explain a grown man prancing around his apartment chanting, "Who's your Mama? Obama's your mama."

-30-



*Actually, I hope this is not an insult to hummingbirds. I don't actually know what kind of attention span they have, and it could well be better than my boss's.

***

Ahora, en Espanol.

Viernes, febrero 01, 2008
Trabajar desde casa! Obtener rico! (No)

Hay un montón de cosas que podemos aprender, por trabajo por cuenta propia.

1. No estoy seguro acerca de mi jefe. Él es un buen chico, pero cuando se trata de ser productivo, que tiene la atención de colibrí .*

2. Trabajo para ti es, en realidad, están en paro, alguien me dijo. Ella es.

3. Tal vez sería mejor decir que tomé "jubilación anticipada" que admitir que estoy en paro, cualquier otra persona, me dijo. Ella es probablemente la derecha, también.

4. Trabajo para mí, me doy cuenta de lo mucho vagar por mi mente. En el tipo de establecimiento, esto puede parecerse brillo de un cierto tipo, ya que mi capacidad de generar numerosas ideas en una forma rápida del fuego puede resultar útil en una sesión de lluvia de ideas. Pero cuando estoy mi propio jefe, yo soy el único de mi audiencia explosión de ideas, que sólo conduce a un recurrente dolor de cabeza.

5. Me gusta estar con otras personas. Es divertido ser parte de un equipo, un grupo, o tan solo un proyecto. La camaradería realmente levanta mi espíritus.

6. Estoy mal en hacer una taza de café.

7. Nunca me di cuenta lo emocionante que es cuando llega el cartero.

8. Nunca me di cuenta cómo es deprimente que el mailman principalmente trae el correo basura.

9. No el hecho de tener muchos detalles a asistir a la definición puede acabar su día. Si sabe que tienen que pagar un determinado proyecto de ley hoy, y no hay mucho más de lo necesario, puede elegir para estirar a cabo la tarea hasta que, digamos, una media hora antes de que el mailman viene, tan sólo para generar un poco de tensión en una de otra "jornada laboral".

10. Compras de alimentos no tiene que ser apresurado asunto. De hecho, de pie en las líneas ya no te molesta, como lo hizo antes. Algunos días, el único contacto humano de fondo que pueda tener es con su empleado de la caja.

11. No todos los empleados de la caja son amistosas. Vale la pena de pie en la línea de los que son, ya que, de nuevo, que puede ser el único contacto humano sustantivo tendrá ese día.

12. Si sus anillos terrestre durante el día, es probablemente un abogado.

13. El nacional de "no llamar" la lista no es necesariamente de proteger sus abogados.

14. Las empresas que ya cuentan con el número de teléfono de su casa en el archivo (como su banco o compañía de cable) parece que creen que pueden violar la "no llamar" lista cada vez que se sienten como él.

15. Los abogados no están muy dotados en adivinar cómo pronunciar su nombre. "Mister vacuno?" "Mister Wire?" "Mister Wee?" Por supuesto, dado que están probablemente en alguna profundidad, en Ahmedabad, sino que se la dispensa.

16. Estar solos demasiado extraño razas, comportamiento compulsivo. Cómo explicar un hombre crecido prancing alrededor de su apartamento cantando, "¿Quién es tu mamá? Obama es su mamá."

-30-


* En realidad, espero que esto no es un insulto a los colibríes. Yo no sé realmente qué tipo de atención que tienen, y que bien podría ser mejor que mi jefe.


And then back to English again:



There are a lot of things that we can learn, for self-employment.

1. I am not sure about my boss. He is a good boy, but when it comes to be productive, which has the attention of hummingbird .*

2. Working for yourself is, in reality, are unemployed, someone told me. She is.

3. It might be better to say that I took "early retirement" to admit that I am unemployed, somebody else told me. She is probably right, too.

4. Work for me, I realize how much my mind wanders. In the type of establishment, this may seem brightness of a certain type, as my ability to generate many ideas in a quick-fire can be useful in a brainstorming session. But when I am my own boss, I am the only one of my audience explosion of ideas, which only leads to a recurring headache.

5. I love to be with other people. It's fun to be part of a team, a group, or just a project. The camaraderie really lifted my spirits.

6. I am wrong in making a cup of coffee.

7. I never realized how exciting it is when the postman arrives.

8. I never realized how depressing is that the mailman brings mostly junk mail.

9. Not having many details to attend to the definition can end your day. If you know you have to pay a certain bill today, and there is much more than necessary, you can choose to stretch out the task until, say, half an hour before the mailman comes only to generate little tension in one another "workday".

10. Purchases of food does not have to be rushed affair. In fact, standing in lines no longer bothers you, as it did before. Some days, the only human contact background may have is with his employee of the box.

11. Not all employees of the box are friendly. It was worth standing in line for those who are, because, again, that may be the only human contact substantive will have that day.

12. If your ring land during the day, it is probably a lawyer.

13. The national "do not call" list is not necessarily to protect their lawyers.

14. Companies that already have the telephone number of his home in the file (such as your bank or cable company) seem to believe that they can violate the "Do Not Call" list every time you feel like it.

15. Lawyers are not very gifted in guessing how to pronounce his name. "Mister beef?" "Mister Wire?" "Wee Mister?" Of course, given that they are probably in some depth, in Ahmedabad, but was excused.

16. Being alone too strange races, compulsive behavior. How to explain a grown man prancing around his apartment chanting, "Who's your mother? Obama is her mom."

-30 --


* In fact, I hope that this is not an insult to the hummingbirds. I really do not know what type of care they have, and might well be better than my boss.

1 comment:

DanogramUSA said...

David,

Identified with most of your observations:

1. Yes (happily) and yes (not so happily)

2. No argument

3. One advantage of our age... sounds believable - Definitely sounds better

4. Well, I'm still looking for my "brilliance of a certain type"

5. Some camaraderie is OK, but remember, "Fish and visitors stink in 3 days".

6. I make excellent coffee. Don't cook worth a damn, but...

7. You definitely need more in your life... If nothing else, take a virtual walk in Google's Streetview (I walked by your place just the other day).

8. Excellent site to make junk mail go away! https://www.catalogchoice.org/

9. Stretching out tasks is not a problem. Not accomplishing anything when I do is.

10. This sad truth has potential - You wouldn't believe the response when I tell someone to jump ahead of me because I'm "retired and have lots of time"! Talk about instant friendships...

11. Friendly clerks are great, when you can find them, but I actually prefer unfriendly clerks; it's challenging to get one to smile. When you manage to, it's more fun than waiting for the postman.

12. Caller ID. What did I ever do before caller id?

13/14. Sad fact: You negate "Do Not Call" when you "willingly" accept services from many enterprises. Some are pretty sneaky on that point.

15. "Globalization" does have its drawbacks.

16. Or even, ANSWERING A TONGUE-IN-CHEEK BLOG ENTRY!


"Retired"