Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spring Feverish



If for everything there is a season, Spring is surely the season for hope. We may be bogged down in a pointless war, our economy may be tanking, gas prices may be rising, and millions of people are out of work, about to lose their homes thanks to the sub-prime mortgage scandal, or at risk of suffering a health crisis because they don't have insurance.

Even with all of this, Nature is in the process of reviving our environment, which in most places has been relatively dormant for months. Outside, in my own backyard, a lacy gown of green buds clings to the branches of our plum tree. Clover, sourgrass, herbs and lettuces are flourishing.

The weather here alternates between sunny days suitable for sunbathing or outdoor basketball and rainy days better suited to reading or hot baths.

Out front, my "garden" in pots is sprouting -- little radishes like those I grew in Michigan in my youth, kaiware daikon, green onions, and regular daikon.

***




Meanwhile, a check from a class-action settlement compensating me (and probably many others) for the fraudulent mismanagement of a company called WorldCom, which I invested some of my family's precious savings in around 2000, has arrived!

That is the good news.

The bad news is the check is for $0.69. I don't even remember how many thousands of dollars I lost, courtesy of this particular cast of white collar thieves.

But, when it comes to the symbolic value of this worthless check, I must reject the implied mutual pleasure of the amount some distant authority has chosen to send me. Hey, there's a much better way to view this ridiculous settlement, but that violent word is not suitable for a family website.

-30-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee, my check should be coming soon - can't wait.

Carole