Sunday, April 08, 2012

Up, Down, Down, Up

My son picked his new favorite restaurant, an Asian place on Potrero Hill, where we gathered for his birthday dinner tonight. Earlier in the day, I interviewed an optimistic couple in their 80s -- he writes and self-publishes novels, and she helps him. Their positive take on life was invigorating.

Earlier I embraced an old friend whose aged mother recently died of a terrible disease. Then, by prior arrangement, his father, though extremely healthy, committed suicide.

My son, still struggling with losing his friend last year at this time to suicide, strongly defended those who choose to end their lives. I remember feeling the same way he feels at his age, but I contested his view.

***

It's spring and that means it's baseball season. Our Giants are off to a horrendous start, losing their first three games by one run each. But it is a long season.

My fantasy team sits in fourth place so far. But it's early.

So there you have it. Down but maybe headed up. Up but maybe headed down. Life is dynamic. Feelings come and go.

Telling the story; that is my challenge.

-30-

No comments: