Thursday, August 09, 2007

Letter Four from Nice: The Beach

Sunday, August 5
Nice, France



Finally, I am posting the rest of the accumulated material, mainly photos, from my recent trip to France.



On Sunday, my last day there, we gathered on the beach.



These shots are how the beach and the people on it appeared to me. This is what I saw. The beaches are composed mainly of stones, as from a riverbed. Locals throw the stones here and there.

A pretty, dark-haired girl in a small bikini (pictured above) kept throwing (left-handed) stones at her handsome, blond boyfriend, who was in the water, throwing stones back at her, on her beach towel. With every throw, her body jiggled as only a woman's can do.



Meanwhile, my three oldest kids and my grandson are here with me.



The baby has grown to love swimming in the warm sea.



Our French relatives were there with us too, including Laila's darling nieces.



Nearby, several children hurled stones into the air and sea, rarely with pinpoint accuracy. My medical-student son-in-law became concerned, and wondered aloud whether to intervene. After all, a stone sharply thrown to the temple of an unwitting swimmer offshore could lead to disaster.




In the end, no one got hurt; the lovers stopped throwing stones, hugged, dressed, and escaped into the gathering evening. The children were rounded up and carted home by their parents.



We, too, left the beach at sunset, albeit reluctantly, and migrated southward along the boardwalk enroute to a yummy seafood dinner.

Thus, my visit to this lovely coast came to its end.

(p.s. I'll be back.)

-30-

No comments: