Friday, January 03, 2020

Just Another Sleepless Night

"Your skin is soft, lIke a baby's," Chin laughed as she applied my morning facial cream before 6 a.m.

As we age and lose physical abilities (sometimes mental as well), we feel like babies once again. My youngest granddaughter, Bettina, is scheduled to visit tomorrow. She is not yet 15 months old. I am not yet 73 years old. I don't see her very often, yet when I do it is as if we instinctively comprehend each other's challenges.

It was a rough night sleeping. At nights like that one, time feels like a loaf of bread. You slice it every hour and you get 30 minutes of bread (sleep) and 30 minutes until the next slice.

I might have felt sorry for myself, until I asked Chin how much she sleeps during the day after working her night shift. "Maybe an hour, I can't really sleep. Just like you."

-30-

No comments: